We have heard time and again that we are to be obedient to God. But have you ever stopped to truly break that down and understand what it means to be truly obedient to God? Does it just mean that we follow the 10 commandments and then we are all good? No. Does it mean that I must live a perfect life to please God? No.
Well then what does it mean?
Obedience is easily defined as doing what God says, doing it how God says to do it, and then doing it when God says to do it, whether it makes any sense to us or not.
In my time counseling people I have found something that surprises me about people when we talk about their obedience to God. It is this – they are afraid to obey God because they are afraid as to what may happen as a result. Over and over I hear people say, “If I start down the Christian path of obedience, I will be asked to become some missionary in Africa, or else I may be asked to give all my money to the church and if I am being honest, neither of these sound enticing to me.”
Well don’t worry about that become 99 times out of 100 neither of these will be asked of you. Our church is full every weekend for one service on Saturday and two on Sunday and not a single one of us lives in Africa nor gives every dime we make to the church, so stop listening to the devil’s mess and start obeying God! Did you ever stop to think that by obeying God, He just may bless you in ways you cannot even imagine?
That is exactly what happens to so many people in the Bible. Abraham left all of his belongings and much of his family and set out on a journey of which he had no earthly idea as to where he was going – all because he had faith in God and obeyed Him.
Peter, and expert fisherman, fished all day long and caught nothing. Jesus, who was a carpenter and not a fisherman, told Peter to throw out his nets for a catch of fish. What did Peter do? He obeyed even though it was totally senseless to him and what happened? he caught so many fish the boat began to sink!
In order to be obedient, we need to have a these characteristics about us in our lives:
- Recognize that God is the ruler of the universe and the Creator of all (we are not)
- We must have faith – this means that we truly believe that God will do what He says He is going to do
- We must be courageous – all of the world will tell us how stupid we are, or that we are going to be asked to move to Africa and be a missionary, or like Noah, we will be called insane for our beliefs. We must stay courageously bold in our faith!
- We must wait on God’s timing – we must get out of God’s way and let Him work
- We must be reading God’s Word in order to understand His ways and His will for our lives
- We must learn to listen to God as we read His Word
- We must repent of our sins and never accept them as “just the way we are”
- We must be willing to do things that seem absolutely crazy to us, but makes perfect sense to God
In my own life, if you would have told me 10 years ago that I would be a pastor looking for a church to preach in and would be a Christian Counselor helping people to overcome the hurts in their lives, I would have laughed heartily right in your face!! Today, this is who I am.
What about you? What is God asking you to do? What is God asking you to stop doing? What is it about your life that you are not willing to hand over to God so that He can bless you?
I urge you friend to get alone with God and talk this out. Figure out what is holding you back from total obedience to God and then receiving the abundant blessing that He is waiting on lavishing you with?
Pastor Brad Komgenick