Tonight I have a simple question for you? Who are you? Who defines who and what you are?
Do you live for the praise of your boss at work?
Do you live for the number of followers you have on Twitter and Facebook?
Do you consider yourself a failure if your spouse tells you that you messed something up?
Do you find that if anyone at all is mad at you that you find yourself being totally upset?
Do you define success as “Mo money, mo money mo money!!!?”
If any of these ring true for you, then I have some bad news for you – your priorities are out of whack! Let’s take them one at a time and I will show you why they are wrong-minded.
- If you live for the praise of your boss, well good luck with that. You have set yourself up to HAVE to be a perfectionist because the first time you make a mistake, and you WILL make a mistake because you are human, you will quickly lose their favor. This is an unattainable goal.
- Those people who follow you on Twitter and Facebook know the YOU that you choose to show them, not the real you. Not the you with acne, and the the you who sometimes struggles with loneliness or depression. They only see the happy, witty you. If you think that Facebook is reality, let me tell you this – it is no more real than reality television is. Do you think for a second that if there were a real lion or tiger or alligator that got within 200 feet of the people on Survivor that the Producers of the show would evacuate the area immediately. After all, there are cameras all over the place 24/7 and that folks is not reality!! Let me make this challenge to you – reach out to your massive “friends” list and see how many of them will come and bail you out of jail with their own money when you need it. Answer = ZERO
- Your spouse, sooner or later, is going to have a bad day at work and they are going to tell you, in an unloving way, that you messed something up. They are human and they are going to make mistakes. If you place your value on other humans, even spouses or children, your setting yourself up for heartbreak. People WILL fail you. it’s what we do.
- You simply cannot please everyone all the time. There are going to be people who choose not to like you no matter what you do. That is why God tells us in Titus 3:9-10 to tell people once, warn them a second time, and the third time walk away from them. God did not say, “Keep going back for more and more and more abuse from people no matter what.” God understands His creation well and He knows we will judge each other harshly at the drop of a hat.
- If money is your definition of value, then how many people were worthless during the Great Depression when most people lost every bit of their savings that were in banks that failed overnight? Money comes and money goes. There is nothing wrong with money or having it. But defining your worth by how much you have is a sin, and so is loving it more than God.
Ok so what’s the answer? How in the world am I supposed to define myself then in a world that tells us that we need to look out for ourselves and only ourselves. “Do unto others before they do unto you” we are told. Also, today’s world says, “ANYTHING goes. ANYTHING is acceptable as long as it does not affect me in a way I do not like, then it is wrong.”
The answer of course is simple:
You are a child and a creation of God. That makes you a child of God. That means you fall under the rules God put in place for the safety of His children. That also means that you are what God says you are and that is a perfect creation. God made you and God never makes mistakes. You have a distinct purpose for your life that God gave you. This world cannot define you. This world can do nothing to you that God does not know about. You have full control as to how you will react and deal with the things that happen to you in your life.
So why not let God define who you are? I do. That means:
- God loves me
- God protects me
- God provides all of my needs
- God never allows more to happen to me than I can handle (I have found that I must be able to handle WAY more than I thought I could!)
- God has a purpose and a plan for my life and wants to tell me what that is if I will shut up long enough to listen to Him tell me what it is
- God will continue to work in my life until I draw my last breath
- Nothing will happen to me that God does not allow
- God has created a home for me in Heaven so no matter what happens here on Earth, my eternity is settled – its Heaven for me!!
I LOVE that definition of who I am!!! Every line of this definition is backed by the Bible, therefore it is 100% true. I no longer need to worry about what the world thinks of Pastor Brad Komgenick, because God loves me and that is all I will ever need.
The same goes for you my friend. Grasp this truth!
With overflowing love and joy,
Pastor Brad Komgenick